Voice technology has evolved to become a disruptor when it comes to technological advancements and is now making an impact in almost every field around us. The use of machine learning and artificial intelligence has only helped to strengthen the voice assist industry which is rushing ahead to become one of the forefronts of innovation with respect to robotics and automation. Healthcare and customer service are two of the major fields in which voice-assist technologies have had the most impact and are also the areas which have the potential to reap maximum benefits from these technologies. As cutting-edge medical innovations explore new horizons here’s a look at how voice technology will shape the therapeutic landscape in the years to come.
Electronic Health Records
A modern healthcare system requires technology to run efficiently as throughout the years we have seen that maintaining records is one of the biggest logistics problems faced by the industry. The EHR or hospital information management system is an integral part of the healthcare services industry today and requires a large amount of backend support. The mismanagement of such data has severe repercussions that can even lead to loss of life and hence this is one area where voice technology can be of great help. The administrative machinery can only run efficiently and economically if the data they require reach their hands swiftly and with ease.
Hospital Information Management System
While doctors are reluctant to side-step their primary job of diagnosing patients to file documents, it is a necessary step that helps other medical professionals be aware of the medical history of the patient before them. Doctors hate the extensive typing that has become an integral part of their day and are hence turning towards newer options such as voice-assist that helps them file such medical records faster and with less typing. The burden on doctors reduces significantly by using such technology, which also helps to make the process more efficient and even more error-free. Personalisation is another advantage of using such a system that is now helping to bridge the gap between the doctor’s reluctance to type and the maintenance of proper records on each patient.
Reminders & Suggestions
The skill that such voice-to-text technologies have to make documents, put up reminders, flag issues and predict suggestions has led to it becoming the number one choice for most tech-savvy doctors as it solves the problem of data localisation and aggregation.
Improving Patient Engagement
Conversational user interfaces help to increase customer interaction and patient satisfaction. Surveys show that while a few are reluctant a large number of people feel more comfortable talking to a computer allowing them to share more detailed information in fewer amounts of time, making the entire process more efficient.
- Voice interfaces are making a massive impact on healthcare with studies showing that over 50% of our interactions with computer systems will be made via voice by 2023.
- Patients are purchasing more and more voice-assisted devices to help them in their day to day life, thanks to the increase in standards of voice-recognition technology and also due to the medical innovations that have made their inclusion easier.
- Many hospitals around the world are working on and developing their voice-activated tools for the benefit of the patients.
- Voice recognition systems, when used for communicating with patients help to save time and money while reducing operational costs and increasing customer satisfaction.
- The Microsoft Tier1 company– Direct Cloud Solution is one of the front-runners in the field of medical innovation and help provider healthcare industrialists the power to care for their patients and sustain a competitive edge by using cutting-edge technology.
- Accurate speech-to-text programs now have the skill to transcribe notes more accurately and with a higher speed than an average medical transcriptionist eradicating issues such as errors in the writing, illegible handwriting and insufficient documentation.
- Also, to strengthen the biometric platform, voice recognition is being used to create more secure systems.
- Being able to converse in multiple languages also helps provide such voice-based technologies more extensive accessibility. This helps more patients engage with them, helping to fasten the entire documentation process.
- Older patients use voice commands to perform tasks they were not able to before due to lack of computer skills, arthritis and even poor eyesight or trembling hands.
Disruption & Future
Most healthcare services have successfully integrated voice assistants allowing users to get directions and medical advice more conveniently. Voice-enabled medication dosing and usage instructions through apps like Alexa, Siri and Cortana have made the entire process more user-friendly and easy to access.
Such technology provides a seamless integration that helps to connect healthcare providers and patients. A sophisticated array of voice assistants, Artificial Intelligence and machine learning powered robots, and voice search features can revolutionise the healthcare industry in ways we did not even think possible till maybe a decade ago.